The “Attention Grabber” evangelism strategy involves causing a scene to get people to stop and watch. The display creates a unique opportunity for people to hear the gospel at the end, as well as through other members of the outreach team going through the audience sharing with the crowd (after the display). The attention grabber can also be a way to advertise another event or create more awareness about your movement. See below for a list of attention grabber evangelism ideas.
Hot Chocolate/Love Survey
Give away hot chocolate on chilly Valentines Day!
- Paper cups (Valentine decorated ones if possible)
- Hot chocolate mix
- Hot water
- Large container to contain hot chocolate
- Marshmallows (optional)
- For “Love Survey” click here. It’s found at under “Relationships.”
- The Passage and Satisfied booklets.
- First, get permission from student activities office or whomever the appropriate authority may be to advertise and give away the hot chocolate.
- Next rent the table and possibly cover it with a pink or red tablecloth. A banner with the Impact Logo would be helpful as well to either hang over the table or somewhere near your station. Set up station and form an assembly line.
- · Then, have more of your members handing out the cups of hot chocolate to students who fill out surveys.
- · Make sure they fill out the Relationship Survey before they leave with the hot chocolate. This “Attention Grabber” can also be an advertisement for another outreach event you may be holding later in the week where you will share the gospel.
- · Give them a flyer for any future events. (You could advertise an event where the topic is relationships…see the event under “Gatherings” entitled “How to Have Good Sex.”)
Give out small plastic bags filled with Hershey Kisses for Valentines Day!
- · Plastic bags.
- · About two to three bags of Hershey Kisses.
- · Little slips of paper (pink or red) with a scripture on them, to also be used for tying the bags closed. A good scripture to use would be John 3:16. There are many scriptures having to do with God’s love that could potentially be used.
- · A booth where students can fill out surveys before getting their bag of Kisses.
- Advertise posters that say: “Want a Kiss?” with the location of your station on them.
- Set up a table where you will be giving the pre-made bags of kisses out to students.
- Make sure that when students come to the table or when you hand out the bags, they are given a “relationship survey” to complete.
Skit/Artistic Display (Step, dance, poetry, rap)
Grab people’s attention by breaking out into some type of dramatic scene in the midst of a crowd.
- · Actors or performers
- · The Passage and Satisfied booklets
- · Perform a skit or speech in honor of Black History Month.
Have someone recite the “I Have a Dream” speech verbatim and then follow up with
excerpts from The Truth about Jesus, found on the website, Da Real Truth.
- · Have a step group perform.
- · Have an interpretive dance group perform.
- · Have an open-mic in the area where most students pass through and have people do poetry or sing songs.
- · Have The Passage and Satisfied booklets out and have people ready to share the gospel with others standing by.
- · Have your campus chapter’s information ready to hand out.